Pages

Happy Things

Saturday, May 9, 2015

I have had a great few days! I am feeling good, so I am going and doing.

Wednesday my three best friends came over. It was the first time I had seen them since chemo started, and it was so good to see them! I am so thankful they are all home for the summer because it really makes a world of difference. I was not 100% myself, but we laid around and talked, which is not much different from what we usually do.

Thursday, I left the house for the first time in almost two weeks! My best friends and I went to lunch and then to a pottery painting place. It was a relief to leave the house! My appetite has been lacking and my taste buds were still off, so I didn't eat much lunch (despite it being one of my favorite places), but it felt good to be doing a normal thing. I hadn't been to paint pottery in years, but it was a nice and relaxing first out of the house activity. I cannot say much for my artistic skills, but some things never change!

Yesterday (Friday) was a big day for me, at this point in my life anyway. It started with my first shower! I cannot tell you how good that felt! I have never been a bath person, but that has been my only choice recently because I have been too weak to stand up. I had a frozen pizza for lunch, which has been one of my cravings. I haven't had one in years, so it is completely random, but hey I am going for it. I then drove my car for the first time! That was weird. I do not know if I have ever gone that long without driving, but it took me a little bit to readjust. The highlight of yesterday was being reunited with my Target! I am happy to report that not much had changed, but I as able to wander and purchase and it was beautiful. I also went to Kohls, where I was massively blessed by the retail gods. My favorite clothing line, LC by Lauren Conrad, was 70-80% off! That has never happened (that I've seen), so it was a good day! I probably spent too much, but I needed to refresh my summer wardrobe and felt like I could justify deserving a few new pieces!

Last night, I survived my first trip to the mall. If you don't know, I am a HUGE shopper, so extensive mall trips are kind of my favorite thing. I tired out a little bit quicker than usual, and had to sit down at some points, but I was successful! I am not even sure if I was more tired than usual, or if it was because we were there for 4 1/2 hours and all I had eaten was a frozen pizza. We finished at the mall, then went to one of our favorite Italian restaurants. Again, my appetite is not what it usually is, but it was so good to get to eat! It was quite an eventful and hilarious dinner. I am so so so thankful for my friends! After dinner, we had a sleepover. It felt like normal and it was fantastic. Cancer came up, but it did not takeover. Cancer is taking a lot from me, but I won't let it take what it cannot have.

Needless to say, yesterday I definitely did my part to contribute to the economy. I have also realized how thankful I am to have such great friends. I always knew it, but they have really come through. I know sometimes people run when things get hard, but the opposite has been happening. I wasn't really worried it would happen, but I did not want to become the "sick" friend. My friends have not treated me any differently, while still making sure I am okay and holding up. They haven't not invited me anywhere because I may get too tired. As a matter of fact, they are the ones encouraging me most to go out! It is good to know that while lots of things are changing (temporarily), our friendship isn't. I know we have a long way to go, but if they haven't run yet, I think we are safe :). We have gone and done things we had only previously talked of doing. It sounds cheesy, but this may be bringing us closer. I wish that this wasn't what was doing it, but what can you do? We have all decided that this is the summer that bottoms us out and then things will only go up from here!

Today I am exhausted, so I plan on just taking it easy. Earlier, my mom and I and one of my best friends and her mom went to a candle making thing at a store downtown. It was different and fun! My aunt is coming to visit tomorrow for the week so that will be fun. Things are good!

There isn't much to update on honestly! I am going out and doing normal things. My hair is hanging on, but is coming out a little more than usual. No one else can tell, but I can when I brush. I have been leaving it alone in hopes of keeping it around a bit longer! I am going to look at wigs this week, so that's a thing. Like I mentioned above, my appetite is lacking. If I eat one meal, I feel full the rest of the day. My tastebuds seem to have mostly returned so that is good! Not much sounds appetizing, but I am trying to eat anyway. Brushing my teeth makes me gag, but using a smaller toothbrush has helped. My lips are constantly super chapped and dry. I have those little sore spots you get in the corners of your mouth, which is super painful. I don't know if it is the chemo or simply not eating/drinking enough, but I wish they would go away! My gums are also super sore, but I bought some stuff that is supposed to help with that. It makes brushing painful! All these are little things though, and I will take them over being nauseous! I can deal with extra chapstick and a smaller toothbrush if it means I am feeling good!

To end, A family friend shared this article with me, then I saw it on several websites. These cards are hilarious and perfect! She has an online store that is filled with things of similar humor. If you are friends with my on Facebook, you probably already saw, but I had to share here too!

I hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend! Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!




No comments:

Post a Comment