Home is Where There are No 4am Labs or Vitals

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I am home from the hospital!!! 

I was admitted Monday morning and had the chemo that afternoon. I became very nauseous Monday night so they ended up giving me an Ativan through my port and knocked me out. We aren't sure if it was the chemo that made me nauseous or just a combination of things (not eating, being in a hospital). I did not experience any nausea the rest of my stay! Honestly, I did not even experience any other side effects at all. I was tired and my appetite was (and remains) not what it usually is, but that is SO mild compared to the stuff I get outpatient! 

Despite feeling good, I cannot say I love being in the hospital. I have never been in the hospital for any reason before this, so it was all new. I do have to say, I LOVED my nurses. Every single one was fantastic and super nice. I have a new appreciation for nurses. The hours are LONG and they are on their feet, yet they still manage to smile and be helpful. I think next time I may bring cupcakes or something to hand out to the nurses that take care of me. 

The food left a lot to be desired. Seriously y'all it was nasty. I was going to take pictures of it for laughs, but half the time I couldn't even look at it without getting nauseous. Luckily, the hospital has some more edible options and my parents were able to bring me food from out. I don't know what I would have done if that had not been an option!

I am hooked up 24/7 in the hospital. That part got extremely annoying. Every time I had to pee (which is a lot when you are on a constant IV of fluids), I had to drag this huge IV pole with me. I had tubes connected to my port which made it hard to sleep comfortably. Not that much sleep happens anyway in a hospital. I think I slept in increments of like 2 or 3 hours every night I was there. They had to give me medicine, do vitals, etc and it was SO annoying. Plus those IV things beep every time an air bubble gets stuck or something, which requires calling the nurse and a whole process. Needless to say, I am super excited to be able to sleep through the night and be unplugged today! 

I had a lot of activities, but I did not really do any of them. I don't know why. I was SO INCREDIBLY THANKFUL for everyone who came to visit me!!!! So many of my friends made the drive to the hospital (which is out of the way), and some of them came after long days at work. It made the time pass so quick and made me feel like myself. I seriously will never be able to thank them enough for coming! I know hospitals are not fun places to be, but it seriously meant so much that people came to see me. 

So I am home and I feel good! I came home, ate some mac'n cheese, and crashed on the couch for like three hours. I will go back inpatient Monday for the same thing. Hopefully it goes just as well and I can get out of there Wednesday! The doctor came in yesterday around 7 and said my levels were good to leave yesterday, but they didn't know I did not have the lucavoren prescription. I needed that to go home, so I was stuck there until this morning for the simple reason of getting the prescription. I am not sure if the hospital weeks follow a pattern, but I am hoping they do! 

I am not gonna lie, it was hard to be in the hospital, on the oncology floor no less. When did that happen???????? I just don't get how I got there. It was hard seeing everyone post things on social media (which is a blessing and a curse) about traveling and doing fun things, while I am stuck in the hospital. I know it is temporary, but nonetheless, it sucks. I cannot say I am looking forward to being back there. I was trying to decide if it is better to be home but sick or stuck in the hospital but feeling good. Yesterday, I think my answer was home but sick! I was really not happy to be stuck there. My heart goes out to all the people who are in the hospital for weeks on end. It probably wouldn't be so bad if people were constantly waking me up! Also the first room I was in did not have an exterior window. We had to move rooms because the AC broke and the new room had a window. It made a world of difference in my attitude! I think it should be a requirement for hospital rooms to have windows that look outside. Anyway, I am going to embrace my 4 days of freedom and hopefully finally go see Pitch Perfect 2! 

Thanks for all the love, prayers, thoughts, etc. They are much appreciated and I feel them! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!


  1. Samantha,
    Thank you so much for your EXCELLENT report on your hospitalization-it just simply lays out what you were going through and hopefully others will read it and they will be inspired by your bravery under fire. I also agree that nurses are "angels without wings"-they work incredibly hard to make what is otherwise an unpleasant experience be as good as is possible under the circumstances. We continue to hold you close in our thoughts and prayers. God bless and keep you safe.

  2. Dear Samantha, than you so much for continuing to share your wonderful voice and spirit. You are making it possible for those of us who are far away to feel closer, by your side, and hope you can feel all the love and the strength we are sending your way! Edi