Pages

Cancer Doesn't Care

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Cancer doesn't care. But I do. And you should.

My name is Samantha. I am 20 years old and a sophomore at USC. I am studying Early Childhood Education and plan on becoming a kindergarten or first grade teacher. I babysit/nanny, so clearly I like to spend time with kids! I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and bake. I love to listen to music, especially One Direction and Taylor Swift (no judgement :) ). I am totally obsessed with celebrity gossip and watch just about everything on TLC. I led a pretty normal life, but on March 16, after some pretty harmless knee pain, I was diagnosed with cancer.


This cancer thing is a jerk. There is not one kind thing to say about it. I usually try to look for the best in people/things, but there simply aren't any to say.  It doesn't care if you are rich or poor, girl or boy, young or old, the mother of Taylor Swift or just an ordinary mother. It does.not.care. It can happen to anyone. And it does.


I know it is a complicated disease and cases vary so much, but why is this not being treated like the epidemic it is? I feel like everyday I hear of someone new who has or has had cancer.  My mom told me the other night that a young adult my age is diagnosed with cancer every 8 minutes. THIS IS NOT OKAY. I know there are plenty of very smart people working for a cure, but it is not enough. Sure, we have come a long way, but we have a very long way to go.

While the treatments we have can be successful in a lot of cases, they don't come without sacrifices. Chemo is toxic. It is a poison. Anyone who has had chemo (myself included) has allowed their body to be pumped with poison. Why are we okay with this?

I am extremely lucky, and I know that. Not everyone gets the news I have. Some people have treatment for years and years. It is 2015 and we are one of the strongest countries in the world. We have phones smarter than some people, cars that can talk to us, and $1000 dollar smart watches, but we still have people suffering and dying from a disease. That's messed up.

Is it an awareness issue? I don't know. I feel like most people are aware of cancer. There are commercials and fundraisers. Apparently it takes more. Don't get me wrong, I love pop culture more than most people, but imagine if instead of making billion dollar movies, we used some of that money to find a cure.

Sure there are movies that deal with cancer (pretty sure I am throwing out my copy of The Fault In Our Stars), but it isn't reality. This disease isn't just affecting people in movies. It is affecting our children, our friends, our mothers, our fathers. Just because it has not affected anyone close to you, does not mean it is not happening. It is easy to turn a blind eye. I have been guilty of that before. That is going to stop now. I am sorry that it took this, but it is never too late to start making a change.

Next time you here of someone being diagnosed, think on a more personal level. Every single person has family and friends that are also being affected by this mess of a disease. We owe it to every person to help. Every person has a story like mine at the beginning of this post. If you have a story, share it. Sometimes it takes getting on a personal level for people to understand and want to make a difference.

Today I am not angry for myself. I am angry for every person who has ever had their own March 16 or will have their own. I am sorry for them. I am sorry for me.

Cancer is a war, and I am just gearing up for battle. We spend BILLIONS of dollars on other wars...it is time we put some of that money and energy to this one.

Cancer is a lot of things, but it is NOT stronger than we are. It is not going to take me down, because once I finish, I will take it down. I don't know by what means yet, but I have big plans and will need help. Cancer has messed with the wrong person!

If this post makes you angry...GOOD. It should. Let's all take that anger and use it to make a change. There is too much good in the world for cancer to be the terrible thing that it is.


P.S. I know many of you leave comments on Facebook, but feel free to comment here too! I'd love to know who is reading :)! UPDATE: I fixed the comment thing so now anyone should be able to comment! There is an anonymous option which should let anyone post :)!











2 comments:

  1. Samantha, I have read every one of your blogs. I am impressed by your strength and determination. I am praying for you, as is my whole church. I have friends and relatives with cancer, and I'm mad, too. You go, girl. Kick cancer's butt! For yourself, and for every one else too.
    With love, Linda (Katie's grandmother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading and routing for you through thoughts and prayers. I love that you're saying what so many think - whether battling cancer or another debilitating illness. Even though The Fault in Our Stars was sad - it stinks more than that - and most people really don't get it. Transparency will rally others and ramp up the fight. Keep it up. ~Tracy Butenhoff

    ReplyDelete